Friday, February 19, 2010

sure was bright in brighton.

It turns out 6 hours of sleep is enough to get one through a beautiful day in Brighton. Brighton, mentioned as a traveling spot to Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice, is a beach town on the southern shores of England. It was a cute town that many people actually commute from to work in London every day. We started out by walking with Brit, who first navigated our huge group through 'the lanes,' which are tiny walking streets that take you through a wonderfully cute brick lane/window shopping district. Andrea, Ellie, Alex and I splurged on a cupcake at yet another adorable cup cake shop. Mine was made of Devils food cake and had peanut butter frosting and a Reese's on top. Possibly greatest frosting i've ever tasted. We then explored the Royal Pavilion, which was built by Charles IV when he was the Prince Regent. It was built in an eastern Asia style and looked like the Taj Ma Hall. In side was jaw dropping. The chandelier in the dining room was unbelievable, and although we weren't allowed to take pictures I have a mental picture in my head which still blows me away every time I think about it. Queen Victoria also had rooms redecorated in the palace even though she only visited four times because she decided she hated vacationing there. Why I can't even imagine.


After the tour of the Royal Pavilion we went in search of fish and chips. Because Brighton is on the sea we figured it would so fresh. We ate at the Pier, and stuffed ourselves with the largest box of fish and chips I've ever seen. The picture is half way through the meal because I was too hungry i had to eat before a picture could be taken :)

We walked on the pebble beach for awhile and toured some cute beachside shops before heading back to the bus for the ride home.

I don't want to bore with a detailed description of the rest of my week so i'll outline it quick and throw a few pictures in :)

Monday - went to see a play called Ghost, and it was okay, just seeing all the theater shows I can while in London seems to be a good way to spend my time.

Tuesday - It was Ellie's birthday! We started out the night at a pub called The Greyhound and later moved to a club called The Roxy which Peter talked us in to. It turned out to be a great move because the club was a lot of fun and relatively cheap because Tuesday's are student nights. We danced the night away and got home around 2.

Wednesday - Can't think of anything notable that occurred...

Thursday - Andrea and I started out on an adventure to find a new Longchamp bag for me! We started at Harrod's, because if I was going to buy one anywhere I wanted it to be there. But they only ended up having two colors in the size I wanted and I didn't want either. So we went to a store called London Luggage and I found a slate gray one and I love it :) It was my big buy for the trip, but they're still very inexpensive compared to buying one in the states. After I got my bag we tubed over towards Westminster Abbey, where we had decided we would go to see a service. We got there early and decided to tour the Supreme Court first. London just opened their Supreme Court less than a year ago (i believe) and it's quite modern. It consists of three courts within and I believe they all deal with separate issues. After that we crossed the street to enter Westminster Abbey, where every monarch has been crowned since William the Conqueror in 1066! It's a gorgeous cathedral and the service was very nice. It was called eveningsong and occurs every night at 5:30, the men's Abbey choir sings and their are verses read





After we got home we ate some food and got ready to go out for the night. This time Eric directed us to a bar down towards Lescester Square. It had waxy in the name...but was a very cool place with a tree in the middle of it! It also played great American songs (including Time of my Life from Dirty Dancing!) After we went to a club called O'Neil's which is three floors of American students dancing the night away. We ventured to the top floor which had a live band.



And this led us up to the morning in Brighton. Good week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment