Sunday, February 7, 2010

utopia.

This past week has gone quite fast, but than again, what week hasn't!? Alyssa's friend Alex came thursday night and we went to get Thai at Churchill Arms Pub, and then continued to drink cider after meeting our study abroad 'planner?' Damian and getting to talk to him. We made it home by midnight to make sure we got plenty of sleep for Friday. Friday I awoke at 8 am sharp and proceeded to get on a coach bus with everyone for an hour and 20 minute bus ride to Oxford. Oxford is a beautiful little town that is mostly made up of Oxford University itself. The university actually consists of 38 separate colleges to which a person applies separately and then lives within the walls of their respective college.

Sidenote- We toured Christ College first which was used in the filming of Harry Potter!

We walked throughout the town and decided to eat at a hidden Tavern, called the Turf Tavern, which we had to walk through very small walkways between buildings to find it. It was fun, then I bought an Oxford T-shirt and went to the Ashmolean Museum and wandered for an hour. I did get to sleep on the way home which was nice, because we went out to Imperial on Friday night. Danced a little, well a lot, and got home around 2. Which meant I slept-in longer than normal on Sat. When I did get up Andrea, Karen, Lindsey and I ventured to the Natural History Museum, which is within walking distance from our flat. It is very well done, so even though I wouldn't normally enjoy looking at rocks and the history of the earth's core, it was visually pleasing and a nice way to spend a sat afternoon.

Sidenote - I watched The Young Victoria Saturday evening and it was great! I absolutely loved it.. but then again there are not very many historical movies I don't enjoy.

Speaking of things I love. Last night we went to the 'Ain't Nothing but the Blues Bar.' More live music, more bobbing my head to the beat, and more sore knees the next day :) I enjoyed it immensely.

Sidenote- As I was finishing my drink at the bar I noticed that the bottom of the cup had words you could only see when your cup was completely turned on the side, like if it was your last drink. The words were utopia. over and over. And I really enjoyed the idea that utopia was the feeling you had when you finished your drink. Kind of neat...

I hope this post wasn't too boring, I'm just trying to remember everything i've done, which means it won't always be exciting stories :)

No comments:

Post a Comment