Tuesday, January 26, 2010

average day?

Today could be written like an average day. Finally getting to sleep in, heading to class, coming back, eating dinner, having a drink, going to sleep. And the funny thing is, it seemed like a normal day to me, but what I got to see, three months ago, would never have been an average day in my mind. I woke up around 10, had breakfast, skyped, had lunch, and then headed out for class. My class however was taking place at London's National Portrait Gallery.


I got to stare at JMW Turner's and John Constable's works as my assignment and I was done doing that I wandered over to the Rembrandt's where I was reminded why he my favorite artist. Andrea and I then decided to go explore the neighborhood.

We took many photos in Trafalgar Square and then headed towards Big Ben. On our way there we ran into a cute little cafe that had homemade desserts. I got the best blueberry muffin ever and she chose lovely looking piece of apple pie. We walked around Parliament and crossed the bridge to get better pictures :)


It was a very successful day and now we are off to get fish and chips. It is probably as surprising to you as it is to me that this will be my first fish and chips of the semester.

By the way my voice is back along with a clean bill of health and I thoroughly enjoyed Windsor. The Castle was pure history and we got to tour the state rooms inside which have been restored to their full glamor after the a fire in 1992 had destroyed that entire part of the castle. Within the walls of castle is St. George's Chapel; fit with flying buttresses, a rose window, and amazing fan vaulting, it is quite lovely to behold, and the royalty that is buried within makes it worth walking through even if it was not grand. We walked over King Henry VIII's bones and that of his last wife's along with passing many previous Queen and King's. Before we had entered the church we got to experience the changing of the guard which I absolutely loved because it was changing to the Irish guard and they used bagpipes in their march. There are four branches of guards; the Irish, Welsh, Scottish and English. They all have different head gear and use a different march/instrument when changing the guard.

Yesterday I went on a shopping excursion and bought myself a few 'needed' things. I got socks (which I did need), leggings (which I kind of needed), and two going out shirts (which I wanted). It was a successful day and I got to see Oxford Street, which is one of the biggest shopping strips of the city (and has been for many centuries).

Off to the pub. cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment