Friday, January 8, 2010

solidifying an ideal

London has been a place in my mind where earls fall in love with ladies and the author describes in detail the packed London streets which never sleep. I can't say that the London I was introduced to yesterday is the same London I've been daydreaming about for years. It is however, filled with the same buildings and houses that sit next to new roads, which are no longer crowded by horse and carriages but with cars, they have the brick facades that they have had since the 17th century (and probably the same windows as well, it feels like they're open when they're closed!) But our new flat is actually quite old, and in the most expensive area of London, Kensington, We are flanked by the Dutch embassy and Dubai royalty, look into Hyde Park when staring out our living room window and if we walk outside and turn left we are confronted with the former home of Princess Diana, Kensington Palace. I'm already in love with the history and cannot wait to fall in love with the present.

In terms of arriving here, everything went without a hitch, besides the machine printing out the wrong boarding pass and me looking like I was trying to get to New York with the name Gabbi Caddes. Oops. After that little mishap however, it was a smooth flight, went very fast with sleep, but good. We arrived in London, grabbed our luggage, and found Andrea's name on a piece of paper and had a impeccably dressed man with a gorgeous accent deliver us to our flat. I'm rooming with Andrea and Alyssa on Flat Three. More later, I'm off to a walking tour of Kensington :)

No comments:

Post a Comment