Thursday, January 21, 2010

In search of Peter Pan

Today marks the two week of studying abroad in London and this morning I awoke feeling much better than the last few days(as I had been fighting off a little cold that my roommates were nice enough to pass along to me). So I finished off my second week of school with Screenwriting and started walking back to my flat. It was then that I realized something great. The sun was shining! I came back to the flat skyped with Bennett for awhile and then decided today was the perfect day to go on my first run though Hyde park. It's still a bit chilly so put on my fleece, my mittens, and my 180s and headed out to explore. I didn't bring my camera which had pro's and con's. I couldn't take pictures of all the beautiful things I saw but I also didn't have to carry it and didn't have to look like a tourist. I headed out not knowing where I was going to go but as soon as I saw the little arrow pointing me in the direction of peter pan I knew what i wanted to see. Many of you may know this statue from the movie "Finding Neverland;" it's a wonderful film and some of the scenes take place in this park by the statue. On my run there I stopped at new favorite spot for reflecting; it's a tiny little path that leads to a bench that overlooks an old bridge that runs over the lake, it was gorgeous. In the lake as I ran I saw mallards(minnesota's bird) and it gave me that little feeling of being home. I ran for an hour, well I ran/walked for an hour... it's been awhile since i've ran and I had to take a few breaks. But I ended my adventure at Kensington Palace which has a little pond in front of it(supposedly one of Keira Knightley's favorite spots to hang out). But it has a wide variety of birds; swans, seagulls, ducks, crows, you name I swear they're there. And for someone who has a slight fear of birds it's not the place to be if the person next to you is throwing out bread crumbs! But I do like watching. And while i was there, there were these two moms who had their baby's in strollers right next to them and they were throwing out handfuls of bread. They had a full bag each and the birds were going crazy. The little babies were crying because it looked like they were being attacked and I swear those children will hate birds the rest of their lives. But the moms were just loving it, so I vowed to never throw bread out there ever especially with children present.(unless Jen is there, because she's more scared of birds than I am, haha)

Anyways my run is complete, and it made me feel wonderful. I wrote yesterday about wanting to feel like I could truly be living here not just studying, and running through the park definitely made me feel that way today.

No comments:

Post a Comment